WriteEdit-Grant Questions Blog

Syndicate content
Customized Customer Support for Biomedical Researchers
Updated: 2 hours 3 min ago

By: Jerry

Thu, 10/12/2017 - 22:52

Thank you very much!

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Thu, 10/12/2017 - 21:33

Yes, you can send an abstract and/or specific aims for his/her take on whether the SRG is appropriate. If you are trying to decide between two study sections, you can note this as well. Your PO should have good insight on SRG choice, too.

>

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: Jerry

Thu, 10/12/2017 - 20:41

Hi, is it appropriate to ask the SRO if my proposal fits in his study section?

Thank you very much.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: Unclear about ESI

Thu, 10/12/2017 - 17:52

Thank you very much for the information.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Thu, 10/12/2017 - 17:07

The NIH is operating under a continuing resolution (CR), which means their funding levels are 90% of what was approved for FY17. The interim paylines are always very conservative until the final federal budget passes, which for FY18 will not likely happen before December. Assuming the FY18 federal budget keeps funding levels at or above FY17 levels (right now, the NIH is looking at a small increase in its budget, but that could change), the interim paylines will be adjusted upward, and these higher paylines will be retrospective to the beginning of the year. The impact of the NGRI is unclear, as each IC will manage the program however they see fit, but overall, paylines for ESI applicants will continue to be higher than those for established PIs across the NIH. The final ESI paylines won’t be known until the FY18 budget is signed into law, though (NGRI also based on appropriation levels).

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: Unclear about ESI

Thu, 10/12/2017 - 16:12

Thanks so much for your site. I am unclear about the Next Generation Researchers Initiative. For example, the NIAID payline for ESI in FY17 was 18th percentile but with the interim FY18 budget the ESI has dropped to 13th percentile. Will this drop in percentile’s for ESI’s is persist or will it be rectified with the Next Generation Initiative? Will this interim budget only adversely affect those whose Council’s met in Sept of 2017? Will this be a trend for other institutes as well?

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Wed, 10/11/2017 - 11:19

POs are busy and tend to triage requests based on urgency. He probably thinks you are not going to submit again until the next cycle, which means you would have plenty of time (so not urgent – and he probably needs some time to go over the summary statement and application). If you haven’t called him yet, I would suggest you start there, since it will be important for you to incorporate his feedback on the reviewers’ discussion at the study section meeting; if you only get his voicemail, be sure to note that you would like to submit for Oct 25th. You can resubmit once you have the summary statement (which you now have), but you do not want to submit again if you don’t have time to adequately address the concerns raised. Your application with the score of 28 will remain under consideration even if your subsequent application scores worse (ie, submitting again does not affect the first proposal).

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: Craving for funding

Wed, 10/11/2017 - 10:50

Hi – I asked the NCI program director after receiving a score of 28 for R15. He replied as ‘While we still don’t know what next year’s budget will bring I can tell you that I am not optimistic that the payline for R15’s will relax at all. Let’s arrange a time to chat once the reviewers comments are available.’ . After one week of that conversation, I sent him the review comments and asked for a conversation. He didnot reply. After another two weeks, I sent him the same email, and still didnot receive response for one week. What could be happening on the other end? Should I call him? In the mean time, can I submit the same proposal to catch deadline in this month? If I do this, will the scored proposal still be considered for funding? Thanks a lot!

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Tue, 10/10/2017 - 14:36

If the science is different, then I do not see why not, since a concurrent R01 is allowed, but you should contact the NIDA DP2 PO for confirmation. You would not be allowed to receive both DP2s, though, in the happy event that both are competitive.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Tue, 10/10/2017 - 14:32

If you cannot extend your ESI status, then you won’t qualify for the extra NGRI payline breaks (each IC will determine their NHGRI funding thresholds, I believe, though the goal is the 25th percentile) … but when you have your summary statement, you can still talk with your PO about funding likelihood as select pay, given how close you are to ESI (they would be more reticent about funding breaks for a senior foreign (new to US) or former NIH research applying as a New Investigator), especially if your work is of high programmatic value. Your PO can give advice on whether to resubmit and, if so, strategies for addressing concerns raised during the discussion (that PO heard but did not get recorded in summary statement).

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Tue, 10/10/2017 - 14:24

You should contact your PO when you receive your summary statement, which is when he/she can comment on whether you might get funded based on reviewer comments (PO won’t know how far their budget will go until Congress passes a budget, probably not before December) and on whether you should prepare a new application (A0) for this proposal as insurance (the A1 remains under consideration). As ESI, you should be in good shape, especially with the NGRI, which seeks to increase the payline for NI/ESI applicants, though I believe it will be up to ICs to determine the higher payline vs an NIH-wide ESI payline. However, this depends on whether the NIH receives a slight boost to their budget, as is currently indicated by Congressional drafts but is not guaranteed. The most useful information you will be able to get from your PO at this point is whether you should submit again and, if so, strategy for doing so.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: G

Tue, 10/10/2017 - 13:25

Hi- I am an ESI. I have submitted DP2 this summer and am wondering whether I can apply for another DP2 from NIDA (Avenir Award Program for Research on Substance Abuse and HIV/AIDS) with a different research idea/project. Thanks.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: R01 NEW INVESTIGATOR

Tue, 10/10/2017 - 00:18

Thanks Writedit.
I come across news that ESI may get their R01 funded upto 25%. Is it apply for New Investigator also? I just crossed my 11 years after my PhD and got a R01 percentile 24 by NCI. Any input is apprecaited.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: Elf

Mon, 10/09/2017 - 11:11

Hi- Just received an impact score of 30 (20th percentile) on my R01 re-submission. I am ESI candidate. I have heard of rumors that NCI/NIH will fund all the grants till 25th percentile. Is this true? What is the likelihood of this getting funded. I have not contacted my PO yet. How soon should I get in touch with them? Thanks so much.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Sat, 10/07/2017 - 14:01

If your PO thought the 33 had a shot, then the 20 score should be even more likely, since unless they go crazy with tax cuts, the NIH should be in line for another slight increase (so paylines should be stable). PO won’t know more until budget passes (December or later), but when you get your summary statement, you can touch base and ask if you should resubmit.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: K applicant

Fri, 10/06/2017 - 17:07

Just received an impact score of 20 on my K resubmission to NIMH (original score was 33 and PO had said there was actually a chance that would get funded, but it didn’t end up happening). I know they’ll be quite a bit of uncertainty until the new budget passes, but any thoughts on the likelihood of funding? Thanks so much!

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: writedit

Fri, 10/06/2017 - 16:46

No one will know about NIH funding likelihood until December (or whenever the federal budget passes and is signed into law). Your PO truly has nothing further to tell you at this time, so that is why he has not responded – you don’t need to keep asking him (which can become bothersome). Just watch the news to see when Congress acts on the budget. The Continuing Resolution lasts until December, and it is unlikely the budget will pass before then. You probably do want to to resubmit in November for insurance (the A0 application with the 24 score remains under consideration no matter what). You could ask your PO for his advice on resubmitting (but nothing else!), if you haven’t yet – that is, whether to resubmit and whether anything he heard in the discussion might help you in revising the proposal. Also, if you resubmit, you only really need to respond to the concerns raised in the Resume and Summary of Discussion. If concerns raised by an individual reviewer are not listed there, then probably the panel decided during the discussion that those were not weaknesses; if reviewer 3’s concerns were cited in the Summary, then you do need to address them.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: K01 applicant

Fri, 10/06/2017 - 15:32

Hello Writedit,
I received (July 3rd) an Impact Score of 24 on my K01 application – NIDA. The problem is that NIDA does not share pay lines on Ks, nor do they give percentile scores on Ks. My PO says that it is a good score with a “decent chance” to be funded. The summary statement is positive but reviewer 3 wanted some changes. I gave my PO one page with suggested feasible solutions to the critiques. In my last contact with the PO he indicated that the uncertainty with congress it is unlikely that he would know anything before December. Is there any opportunity to receive funding here (level of optimism)? It has been 3 weeks since I heard back from the PO and I feel like he does not want to be bothered (and I definitely don’t want to bother him/her). Is there anything I can do or information that I missed in between the lines or elsewhere?

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: SaG

Thu, 10/05/2017 - 07:44

AS PI, you get to pick your collaborators. Not the other way around. If you and your school want to drop Dr. C and the PO agrees you can. Nothing Dr. C can do about it. You have the power here. Now if political dynamics are involved that is a different issue. But, don’t let anyone tell you that you “have” to collaborate with a person they choose.

Categories: NIH-Funding

By: Matt

Wed, 10/04/2017 - 23:23

Thanks writedit and SaG.

I totally agree with SaG that Dr C should not have contacted the PO. They are not the awardee institution but my university is. The whole thing was very disturbing and this tells me how inexperienced the intramural scientists are when it comes to extramural funds. As of now, my university has requested a Teleconference with Dr C before the scheduled Teleconference with the PO. Let’s see what Dr C has to say. If he thinks that the FTE that Dr B promised was too much and he wants to cut it to half, can I still argue that it might still work?

Dr C was “assigned” to take over Dr B for the project. I did not request him.

Categories: NIH-Funding